Whether you're single or taken, this Hallmark holiday is one that just makes people stress out for some reason. So I've compiled a list of guidelines to help you get through V-Day while keeping your sanity.
1. When choosing a gift for your Annapolitan sweetheart, you can't go wrong with the classics. Think high-quality chocolate truffles, red roses, and jewelry.
2. If you're veering away from the classics, keep it unique. Get creative, and think of things that pertain to your relationship. Maybe even give him/her something practical and useful!
3. Think about the kind of message you want to send with your gift. Red roses say "I love you." Pink roses say "You make me happy." Yellow roses with red tips say "I'm falling in love with you." Peach roses say "I appreciate you." Jewelry says "I'm serious."
4. Give a gift that keeps on giving! Anyone can appreciate a massage gift card, a voucher for a special date, or a planned and paid for weekend getaway.
5. Try not to get too corny. Avoid tacky Hallmark cards, teddy bears that sing, and other items that will end up in the recycling bin or basement.
6. Singletons, embrace your singleness! Honestly, I'm sick of hearing you guys complain via social networks for the entire month of February. If anything, just ignore the holiday and stay off social networks on the 14th so you don't have to see all the Instagrammed photos of teddy bears and flowers. But please...enough with the "forever alone" tweets. We get it.
7. If you are single (or in a long distance relationship), do something special for yourself on Valentine's Day. Buy yourself a cupcake, go get a massage, or treat yourself to a special dinner. I'm aware that I'm verging on corny here, but it's important to love yourself just as much as you can possibly love someone else. So don't forget to do nice things for yourself. Plus, it will help you get through the day without becoming too bitter about the fact that your coworker received flowers at work, or that your friend won't stop talking about her awesome date.
8. Have fun! Valentine's Day is not something to stress over. Remember, it's all Hallmark hype. Don't get too caught up in it.
The Annapolitan's Gift Guide for Guys
- Framed photo of you and him
- Massage gift card
- Gift card to a restaurant for a planned date
- His favorite beer
- Baked goods (if you can cook!)--think brownies, puppy chow, cupcakes, or cookies
- Here's my favorite recipe for Nutella puppy chow!
- Homemade chocolate truffles
- Tickets to a concert or game
- Fancy cuff links (for the businessman)
- Bacon roses (tutorial here)
- Strand of pearls
- Flashy earrings
- Infinity sign ring or necklace
- Tiffany gift card
- Starbucks gift card
- Her favorite wine
- Lingerie or a Victoria's Secret gift card
- Something special from Vineyard Vines or Lilly Pulitzer
Have a great Valentine's Day!